Over a year ago, I wrote a post about playing Heroes III natively in Linux thanks to the VCMI project. Unfortunatelly, the VCMI engine is not yet stable enough for me to consider the game playable. It turned out to crash way too often, and sometimes the AI players behave in a pretty weird way.
I got tired of it and looked for an alternative approach, at least until VCMI gets more stable. Continue reading
I liked to play the Quake III demo, occasionally. I have never played the full game, but since I am not really into 3D shooters, the demo is quite enough. Years ago, its Linux version installed and ran without problems. Then, at some point sound stopped working, then the game could not be extracted and nowadays I wouldn’t even try to install it on modern systems. Continue reading
To play Heroes III with the VCMI engine, the original game data and unofficial addons have to be copied (manually) to their required locations. It is not a big issue, but can be confusing at first. Continue reading
I like to keep Heroes III around for the old times’ sake. I have the Complete edition, which unfortunatelly has no Linux version. The Complete edition can be installed and played via WINE, but it is not stable and keeps one of my CPU cores constantly at 100%. I looked for another option and came across the VCMI project, which seems quite promising. Continue reading
After making the system multilib, it’s time to compile wine. In my experience, the latest version of wine that let StarCraft work right away is 1.2.2 — let’s use this for now… Continue reading