Over a year ago, I wrote a post about playing Heroes III natively in Linux thanks to the VCMI project. Unfortunatelly, the VCMI engine is not yet stable enough for me to consider the game playable. It turned out to crash way too often, and sometimes the AI players behave in a pretty weird way.
I got tired of it and looked for an alternative approach, at least until VCMI gets more stable. Read the rest of this entry »
To play Heroes III with the VCMI engine, the original game data and unofficial addons have to be copied (manually) to their required locations. It is not a big issue, but can be confusing at first. Read the rest of this entry »
I like to keep Heroes III around for the old times’ sake. I have the Complete edition, which unfortunatelly has no Linux version. The Complete edition can be installed and played via WINE, but it is not stable and keeps one of my CPU cores constantly at 100%. I looked for another option and came across the VCMI project, which seems quite promising. Read the rest of this entry »