Since I moved back to Slackware as my major system, I wanted to make SlackBuild scripts and SlackBuilds.org a bit easier to deal with. Therefore I wrote myself several small tools, collectively called sboutils. I will be busy in the following weeks, so I decided to call its current stage as first release candidate 0.01_beta.
Read the rest of this entry »
Many Slackware users avoid installing unofficial precompiled packages on their systems. I find this understandable, since there has never been (IMHO!) a big and trusted repository for third-party packages. I used to install just a couple of packages provided by AlienBob (like LibreOffice and some of its dictionaries) and then compile everything else from SlackBuilds.org. Read the rest of this entry »
I decided to try using SlackOnly as my primary source of third-party software. My system is Slackware64 -multilib and all settings below take this into account. I manage the official Slackware updates and AlienBob’s multilib layer with
slackpkg, complemented by it’s extension
slackpkg+. Read the rest of this entry »
The SBo project does not host the sources of the packages that are built. It is an elegant approach to save space, but occasionally presents problems. Sometimes the source may get moved, renamed or (even worse) it may be an unversioned archive that just changes its MD5SUM. Read the rest of this entry »