I have been using the 4.3 version of Skype for several months already, with PulseAudio and its compat packages installed. However, I experienced problems with some audio programs. XMMS would crash regularly and Clementine would refuse playing. Very strange, probably I did not configure PulseAudio properly. Anyway, I got rid of it and its dependencies, as well as their compat packages. Of course sound in Skype stopped.
I installed it on a multilib system, and following the instructions, I started skype like this:
Sound works again! I made a skype test call and could hear my voice back. Great. I therefore modified the
skype.desktop file like this:
[Desktop Entry] Name=Skype Comment=Skype Internet Telephony Exec=apulse skype %U Icon=skype.png Terminal=false Type=Application Encoding=UTF-8 Categories=Network;Application; MimeType=x-scheme-handler/skype; X-KDE-Protocols=skype
Then, I saved it in
~/.local/share/applications/skype.desktop to make it available for my user.
UPDATE (16.02.2015): to start Skype on a Slackware64 -multilib machine, use
apulse32 in the examples above. At the moment, the version of
apulse is 0.1.5.
UPDATE (28.02.2015): with the newest at the moment version of apulse (20150103), the
apulse binary works on a -multilib system by default. Therefore, use the instructions in the original post