Own packages repository

I decided to try and make my own repository of precompiled packages from SBo. Exactly the same idea as SlackRepo, but made by me for my own use (not public). The tool to use is SlackRepo, which has extensive documentation, that I highly recommend. This post is not meant as a tutorial on how to use SlackRepo. It merely lists the settings I used and the steps I took for my own use.
Read the rest of this entry »


Repology

As a maintainer at SlackBuilds.org, I try to keep my scripts updated. Normally, I would just go through the list of SlackBuilds that I maintain and check each project’s website for updates. It is time consuming and (worst) really boring. I recently came across a very useful website — Repology, the packaging hub.
Read the rest of this entry »


Mounting an iPhone

Due to several reasons that I will not discuss here, I decided my next phone to be an iPhone SE. Of course, I naively expected that when I plug it in my computer, it will behave. Well, it doesn’t. The phone has iOS 11 and in Slackware 14.2 the system sees it, but there’s no way to mount it. In Slackware -current I can access my photos only. Well, I googled a bit and here’s what I did on -current.
Read the rest of this entry »


Github download links

As a maintainer at SBo, a thing that frequently makes me want to pull my hair off is providing a proper download link for sources hosted at Github. I really should not list all the issues that I have had, because I will get angry. So, straight to the point. Read the rest of this entry »


Making a patch

I usually fix the SlackBuilds I maintain by sed, as it makes things much more transparent. However, sed is not always an option, especially for some big fixes or fixes that contain “weird” characters, for example something like this:

unless (defined(@$slist) && defined($hlist_sel)) {

The above is an excerpt from perlprimer.pl, that had to be fixed. The problem in question has been discussed here. I wanted to provide a fix for my perlprimer.SlackBuild, therefore I decided to make a patch.
Read the rest of this entry »